Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple
Open Time : 4:00 am to 11:00 pm
Entry : free
Address : Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Lahori Tola, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
Website : https://shrikashivishwanath.org/
More Travel Tips from Varanasi
Why to visit Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple
One of the 12 Jyotirlingas, or temples, devoted to Lord Shiva is Kashi Vishwanath Temple, which is located in Varanasi on the western bank of the holy river Ganga. Lord Shiva is the principal deity of the Kashi Vishwanath Temple. The temple's tower is covered in 800 kilograms of gold.
- The Kashi Vishwanath Temple is a complex of shrines that is made up of a number of smaller shrines and is situated close to the river in a narrow street known as the Vishwanatha Galli.
- The main temple is built in the shape of a quadrangle, and shrines to various gods are located all around it.
- The gods Kaalbhairav, Dhandapani, Avimukteshwara, Vinayaka, Sanishwara, Vishnu, Virupaksha, and Virupaksh Gauri are honoured in these temples.
- The main Shivalinga of the temple is made of black stone and measures 60 cm tall by 90 cm in circumference. It is housed on a silver altar.
- The temple's structure is divided into three sections. The first one depicts a spire on the Lord Vishwanath temple, the second one is a gold dome, and the third one is a gold spire on top of the Vishwanath holding a flag and a trident.
- Here is also where Gyaan Vapi, a holy well, is located.
- The temple is crowded with pilgrims throughout the year since it is commonly believed that a trip to the temple followed by a dip in the sacred Ganges is the only way to achieve liberation or "Moksha."
- Another myth is that when someone passes away naturally at the Vishwanath Temple, Lord Shiva himself whispers the mantras of redemption into their ears.
- Many notable Hindu saints have visited this temple, including Goswami Tulsidas, Swami Vivekananda, Adi Sankaracharya, Swami Dayanand Saraswati, Gurunanak Dev, and Ramakrishna Paramhansa.
Things to do around the temple:
- One must pass through the Kashi Vishwanath Gali, which is renowned for its stores selling pooja supplies and sweets, in order to get to the temple. The street also has a well-known ladies' corner where a variety of goods are sold, including Banarasi sarees, dresses, religious objects, and jewellery.
- Snacks are also available at a few roadside stands for those unforeseen hunger cravings. Devotees may also visit this location for some reasonably priced shopping after having their darshan of Lord Shiva.
Kashi Vishwanath Pooja Timings & Fees:
- Sugam Darshan: 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM (INR 300)
- Mangala Aarti: 3:00 AM to 4:00 AM (INR 350 onwards)
- Bhog/Aarti: 11:15 AM to 12:20 PM (INR 180)
- Saptirishi Aarti: 7:00 PM to 8:15 PM (INR 180)
- Night Shringar/Bhog Aarti: 9:00 PM to 10:15 PM (INR 180)
- Night Shayan Aarti: 10:30 PM to 11:00 PM (Free)
- Rudrabhishek: 4:00 AM to 6:00 PM (INR 450 onwards)
- Dashashvamedh Ghat (92 m)
- Nepali Temple (0.5 km)
- Kedar Ghat (0.8 km)
- Man Mandir Ghat (0.2 km)
- Aadha-Aadha Cafe (0.1 km)
- Bowl of Compassion (0.3 km)
- Vishnu Tea Emporium (0.2 km)
- Baba Lassi (0.2 km)
FAQ on Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple
What should one wear if they plan to visit Kashi Vishwanath Temple?
Devotees must now wear a saree (for women)and a dhoti-kurti (for men) when visiting the renowned Kashi Vishwanath Temple. The Kashi Vishwad Parishad recently decided that devotees doing sparsh darshan must strictly abide by this clothing code. Devotees may worship the deity outside the sanctum while wearing western clothing.
What are the nearby attractions close to Kashi Vishwanath Temple?
The nearby attractions include: Dashashvamedh Ghat (92 m), Nepali Temple (0.5 km), and Kedar Ghat (0.8 km).
What are the nearby restaurants close to Kashi Vishwanath Temple?
The nearby restaurants include: Aadha-Aadha Cafe (0.1 km), Bowl of Compassion (0.3 km), and Vishnu Tea Emporium (0.2 km).
What are the nearby hotels close to Kashi Vishwanath Temple?
The nearby hotels include: Friends Guest House (0.2 km), Hotel KV Palace (0.4 km), and Lotus Paying Guest House (0.4 km).
Does the Kashi Vishwanath Temple charge an entrance fee?
No, the Kashi Vishwanath Temple allows free access.
Can we take a car to the Kashi Vishwanath Temple?
Yes, you can travel by car, but because Vishwanath Gali is in such a crowded neighbourhood, you must park your car before it arrives.
How long does a Kashi Vishwanath darshan take?
On a typical day, it takes at least two to three hours to visit the Kashi Vishwanath temple; but, if you travel on a Monday or another auspicious day, it may take much longer. If not, they won't let you into the temple for more than a few minutes after you arrive.
Can we bring our cameras inside the Kashi Vishwanath Temple?
Cameras, cell phones, and other electronic devices must be left outside in lockers as they are not permitted inside.
How to reach Kashi Vishwanath Temple?
The distance between the temple and the Varanasi train station is only about 5 kilometres. The best way to get to your destination when commuting from anyplace in the city is in a taxi or an auto rickshaw. The Vishwanath Gali, which is not a driveable road, contains the real temple, thus you will need to climb a flight of stairs to get there.
Avoid visiting this destination during Hindu holidays, when worshippers may have to wait up to two days in line to enter the temple.
By Rebecca Lal