Shri Durga Temple
Open Time : 5:00 am to 10:00 pm
Entry : free
Address : Shri Durga Temple, Durgakund Road, Durgakund, Anandbagh, Bhelupur, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
More Travel Tips from Varanasi
Why to visit Shri Durga Temple
Durga Mandir is a Hindu temple in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India. This temple honours the Goddess Durga. Durga Kund and Lal Mandir are other names for the Durga temple.
- The temple has an architectural design that attracts the attention of onlookers. It is constructed using a multi-tiered shikhara and the Nagara architecture style of North India.
- The entire temple is painted red with ochre. The red colour symbolises the presiding deity, Durga, the goddess of power and might.
- Visitors can also anticipate seeing numerous stones that have been intricately carved and inscribed inside the temple.
- A pond called Durga Pond is also a part of the temple complex and is situated on the right side of the Durga Temple.
- Every form of festival is observed in the Durga temple, but the Durga Puja and Navratri festivals draw the largest crowds.
- The Durga temple also houses temples for Mata Kali, Baba Bhairavnath, Lakshmi, Saraswati, and Hanuman.
- The temple has a Havan Kund where everyday Havan is performed.
- This temple is known as "Monkey Temple" since it is home to numerous dangerous monkeys.
How to reach:
- Nearest Bus Stand: Durgakund Bus Stop, Varanasi (1 Min)
- Nearest Railway Station: Varanasi City Railway Station (7 kms)
- Tulsi Manas Mandir (0.2 km)
- Tridev Temple Varanasi (0.2 km)
- Ruchika Art Gallery (0.7 km)
- Sankat Mochan Temple (0.6 km)
- Itihaas Alley Kitchen (0.5 km)
- Aum Cafe (0.7 km)
- Ashish Cafe (0.7 km)
- Sparrow Cafe (0.6 km)
Ideal duration: 1 hour
FAQ on Shri Durga Temple
What are the nearby attractions close to Shri Durga Temple?
The nearby attractions include: Tulsi Manas Mandir (0.2 km), Tridev Temple Varanasi (0.2 km), and Ruchika Art Gallery (0.7 km).
What are the nearby restaurants close to Shri Durga Temple?
The nearby restaurants include: Itihaas Alley Kitchen (0.5 km), Aum Cafe (0.7 km), and Ashish Cafe (0.7 km).
Is it permitted to take photos inside the Shri Durga Temple?
Inside the temple, cell phones are permitted, however taking pictures of the main deity is not permitted.
When would be the most ideal time to visit Shri Durga Temple?
The Shri Durga Temple is less crowded on weekdays than on weekends, therefore that is when you should go. You might have to wait for several hours if you plan to go during "Durga Asthami."
How to reach Shri Durga Temple?
You can travel via cab, rikshaw, or automobile. It is 2 kilometres from BHU and 13 kilometres from Cantt. Varanasi away.
The bright red look of this temple will remind you the fierceness of Goddess Durga and the ravishing ambiance is worth the visit. The temple's courtyard and sanctum sanctorum are off-limits to non-Hindus.
By Rebecca Lal