Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple
Open Time : 5:00 am –11:30 am, 3:00pm –10 :00pm
Entry : free
Address : Sankat Mochan Hanuman Mandir, Rishpattan Road, Sarnath, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
More Travel Tips from Varanasi
Why to visit Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple
The name "Sankat Mochan," which means "the relief from difficulties," was given to the deity. Offerings to Lord Hanuman are sold within the temple, and devotees enjoy the specialty treat "Besan Ke Ladoo" (known as Prasad).
A lovely marigold flower garland is also draped around the idol. Lord Hanuman, who worshipped Rama with unwavering devotion, stands facing him at this temple, giving it a special distinction.
On special occasions like Hanuman Jayanti, thousands of worshippers join the regular visitors here. Additionally, a unique procession called the Shobha Yatra is organised, and it departs from the Durgakund Temple.
The temple also hosts the annual "Sankat Mochan Sangeet Samaroh," a classical music and dance event in April that attracts performers from all around India.
- The best days of the week to do pooja to Lord Hanuman are Tuesday and Saturday. Every Tuesday and Saturday, thousands of devotees visit the temple to pray to Lord Hanuman and recite the Hanuman Chalisa and Sundarkand.
- Numerous followers from all around the world share the same belief that by performing puja at the sacred Sankat Mochan Temple, they will be granted their wishes and be freed from any Sankat difficulties.
- According to astrology, worshipping Lord Hanuman is also regarded to balance the opposing impact of the Mangal Grah (Mars), as well as any other planet.
- Subah Aarti: 4 am (morning)
- Sandhya Aarti: 9 pm (night)
- Tulsi Manasa Temple (9 minutes away)
- Durga Temple (12 minutes away)
- Assi Ghat (19 minutes away)
- Sankata Ghat (14 minutes away)
- Chachi ki Dukaan (0.2 km)
- Roma’s Cafe Diner (0.4 km)
- Ashish Cafe (1 km)
- Pizzeria Vaatika Cafe (1 km)
Distance from Varanasi: 7.8 km
Best Time to Visit: Tuesdays, October (especially during the festival of Diwali)
FAQ on Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple
What is the best time to visit Sankat Mochan Temple?
There are about 1000 visitors on Tuesdays and Saturdays, which are particularly popular ceremonial days. The greatest time to visit the temple is in the month of October, particularly around the festival of Diwali.
What are the nearby restaurants close to Sankat Mochan Temple?
The nearby restaurants include: Chachi ki Dukaan (0.2 km), Roma’s Cafe Diner (0.4 km), and Ashish Cafe (1 km).
What are the nearby attractions close to Sankat Mochan Temple?
The nearby attractions include: Tulsi Manasa Temple (9 minutes away), Durga Temple (12 minutes away), and Assi Ghat (19 minutes away).
What are the nearby hotels close to Sankat Mochan Temple?
The nearby hotels include: Shiva Ganga Views (2.2 km), Hotel Ganesha (0.8 km), and Hotel Heritage Inn (1.3 km).
How to reach Sankat Mochan Temple?
You can use an auto rickshaw or rent a car to get to the temple. The Varanasi train station is 11 kilometres away from the Sankat Mochan Temple, which is also the same distance from the highway bus stop and 3 km away from the BHU.
On the grounds of the Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple, be cautious of monkeys. Long lines are only required for people who are presenting something to the deity; if you are just going as a tourist, there is no need to join the line.
By Rebecca Lal