Balwant Singh Eating House
Open Time : Open 24 hours
Entry : free
Address : Balwant Singh's Eating House, Harish Mukherjee Road, Bhowanipore, Calcutta, West Bengal, India
More Travel Tips from Kolkata
Why to visit Balwant Singh Eating House
The first to introduce the steamed-milk tea craze to Kolkata about 97 years ago was Balwant Singh, a legendary figure in the North Indian dining scene. The shop has endured a long and eventful journey, yet it is still going strong.
Why is Balwant Singh Dhaba popular?
- For all these years, the Dhaba has served delectable vegetarian fare from both North and South India.
- The fusion tea served at Balwant's Dhaba comprises Kesar chai with saffron sprinkled on top, which also happens to be the establishment's signature creation, the "Doodh-cola" tea, which is in high demand during Kolkata's oppressively hot summer.
- Many famous people, including K. L. Saigal, Prithviraj Kapoor, Kapil Dev, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Suresh Raina, and Anil Kapoor, frequent this restaurant. etc
- Foreign visitors are welcome, particularly Japanese tea researchers. They observe and document the process of brewing steamed tea.
- The tea shop operates seven days a week, closing for only an hour each day. It starts serving tea at 4 am and serves thirsty souls until 3 am. Every day, the stall sells between 6,000 and 7,000 bhar (cups) of tea.
Nearest Metro Station: Rabindra Sadan Metro Station is the closest (5 minutes walking distance)
FAQ on Balwant Singh Eating House
How's the ambiance at Balwant Singh Eating House?
Balwant Singh Eating House typically have a pleasant atmosphere with a rustic feel.
How much does dining at Balwant Singh Eating House cost?
The cost for two individuals is roughly Rs. 1000, though this entirely depends on the quantity and variety of food you order.
Does Balwant Singh's Eating Place offer home delivery?
You can choose home delivery choices if the delivery address is within the allowed driving distance.
Does Balwant Singhs Eating House maintain cleanliness?
Yes, the Balwant Singhs Eating House offers a clean interior and hygienically prepared cuisine.
Chaai, dhoodh cola (milk + coke/thumbs up), one of the strangest drink combinations worth trying. In addition to the Doodh cola sessions, which are more like a ritual when you are here, try a taste of Aloo Paranthas & Dal Makhni.
By Abhilasha Prasad