Vaikom Mahadeva Temple
Open Time : 4:00 am to 12:00 pm ; 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Entry : free
Address : Vaikom Shri Mahadeva Temple, Vazhamana Road, Vaikom, Kerala, India
Website : https://www.vaikomtemple.org/
More Travel Tips from Kottayam
Why to visit Vaikom Mahadeva Temple
In Kerala's Kottayam district is the town of Vaikom. During the Indian Independence Movement, it served as a destination for satyagraha. It is the oldest city in Kottayam and is located not far from Kumarakom, a popular tourist destination. The Vaikom Temple, located in the centre of the community, takes centre stage during the month of November's Vaikom Ashtami celebrations. The year 1594 saw the construction of this temple. Additionally, a courtyard that occupies 8 acres of space surrounds it.
Due to its beautiful design and extensive history, the temple is significant in Keralan history.
• One of Kerala's three potent Shiva temples is the Vaikom Mahadeva Temple. Ettumanoor Siva Temple and Kaduthuruthy Thaliyil Mahadeva Temple are the other two temples on this list.
• The locals have the belief that Lord Shiva grants all requests when worshipped at these three shrines prior to Ucha Pooja.
• Additionally, this temple is used for Vaishnavaite and Shaiva worship.Over 8 acres of land make up the temple. The temple is enclosed by four walls, and river sand has levelled the grounds.
• The temple has a gilded flagstaff. There is a stone sculpture next to the Balikalulpura. This is a statue of Lord Ganesha. The sacrifice stone is referred to as Balikalulpura.
• Ramayana tales are depicted on the Namaskara Mandapa's interior roof. There is only one statue of Nandi carved out of rock. Lord Shiva travels in the Nandi.
• The Sreekovil is the temple's main chamber. Copper sheets are used to cover this space. This area also includes a front chamber. The Mukha Mandapa is shown here. Stone and wood were used to construct this chamber. There is a second chamber as well. The square structure of this chamber is made of stone.
• The Shiva Lingam stands six feet tall. It's made of a dark stone. Chandrakala is worn by the Lingam. It is a crescent. The Lingam also possesses four hands, a nose, and three eyes. Lord Shiva is adorned with gold jewels.
FAQ on Vaikom Mahadeva Temple
What are the prominent places to visit near Vaikom Mahadev Temple?
A Shiva Lingam that Lord Shiva bestowed to Kharasura is also housed at the Kaduthuruthy Thaliyil Mahadeva Temple. Goddess Rajarajeswari is revered at the Chottanikkara Bhagavathi Temple shrine. Near Vaikom Mahade Temple, these are the well-known temples to visit.
Where to eat near Vaikom Mahadev Temple?
In Kerala, many people visit the Vaikom Mahadeva Temple. Thus, there are a lot of restaurants close to this shrine. Famous restaurants include Indian Coffee House, Whitegate Residency, Hotel Anandabhavan, Hotel SNV Sadanam, Hotel Hari Hara Vilasam, and Valiyakavala. These lodgings are affordable and sanitary.
Where to stay near Vaikom Mahadev Temple?
Hotels in close proximity to the temple include Shri Kailas Tourist Home, Kalakkal Tourist Home, Shree Vaikathappan Tourist Home, Motel Araam, Devaswom Guest House, Kottaram, Sree Narayana Tourist Home, and Whitegate Residency. These motels additionally provide all essential services and meals.
How to react Vaikom Mahadev Temple?
Kottayam is located 32 kilometres away from Vaikom. It's best to take a taxi from Kottayam.
The Vaikom Mahadeva Temple's most well-known festival is Vaikkath Asthami. It either happens in November or December, so try visiting in these months. Additionally, among the attractions in Vaikom are the Vamana Swami Temple, the Fish World, the Aqua Tourism Village, and many more.
By Vaani Singhania
Disclaimer: Please note that the content of this blog/article including links, texts, images, and graphics is only meant for informational purposes. We do not intend to infringe any copyright policy or do not possess any third-party material. If you have issues related to any of our content or images, kindly drop your message at email@example.com