Open Time : Open 24 hours
Entry : free
Address : Bara Bazar, Barabazar Market, Calcutta, West Bengal, India
More Travel Tips from Kolkata
Why to visit Burrabazaar Market
Burrabazar is one of the biggest wholesale markets in eastern India; you can find anything you need here for a great price, including textiles, medications, clothing, and cosmetics.
The entire Burrabazar is separated into distinct sections or specialized sub-markets called Dhotipatti, Fancypatti, Tulapatti, Chinipatti, etc. based on the commodity it deals in. Katras is created by further dividing these. Each Katra is recognized as a distinct object.
Millions of people, including mutiyaa, small-time traders, trade tycoons, havala monarchs, and straightforward money lenders, rely on Burrabazar for their living.
Places to shop in Burrabazar:
- The area around Burrabazar's Satyanarayan Market comes alive during Haal Khaata, Poila Boisakh (the Bengali New Year), and Diwali.
- The genuine souvenirs can be found on Kalakaar Street. You can find incredible stores offering beautifully finished religious figurines.
- There are also some fantastic Kurti stores, saree collections, menswear brands, and many other things.
- Bagri market hosts the city's largest cracker fare as Diwali approaches. Despite the fact that the fire from the previous year may have harmed the businesses, this year's vendors are considerably more eager to reopen.
Places to eat in Burrabazar:
- A wide variety of vendors selling enticing foods can be found along the street, including Dahi kachori, matka kulfi, samosas, chaat, jalebi, bhelpuri, jhalmuri, Magda patties, pav bhaji, chole kulche, and of course the well-known Bengali sweets.
- Dosa, Idli, Samosa, Kachauri-sabzi, Raj kachauri, and a number of other delicacies are available at Bapu tea shops, but the tea is the major draw.
- The contemporary sugar cane juice shop Soda Junction is located at the Jain Temple-Kaaligodaam intersection.
- The guy near Kalakar Street has been around for nearly 25 years, and his Chillas are without a doubt the best in town.
Shopping Budget: INR 500/- to INR 1000/- approx.
Food Budget: INR 100/- per head
Best months to visit: October to March
Best time to visit: Afternoon
FAQ on Burrabazaar Market
Where is Burrabazar located in Kolkata ?
From Strand Road, it extends until Canning Street and Chitpur Road, running parallel to the Hooghly River. Harrison Road, also known as Mahatma Gandhi Road, which is close to the MG Road metro station, makes it simple to get to Burrabazar.
Is Burrabazar opens on Monday?
Yes, Burrabazaar usually closes on Sunday.
What are the tourist attractions to visit near Burrabazar?
The Magen David Synagogue, Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary, St. Andrew's Church, St. John's Church, and Howrah Bridge can all be reached after a 15-minute walk from Burrabazar.
What are the hotels near Burrabazaar?
Hotel Aria, Broadway Hotel and Hotel Orchid Inn are the hotels near Burrabazaar.
The market is best visited around eleven in the morning. You can stay away from the busy streets and heavy traffic. All roads are one way, so expect to walk a lot when going back to get to a taxi or cab. Carry water and sunglasses.
By Abhilasha Prasad
Disclaimer: Please note that the content of this blog/article including links, texts, images, and graphics is only meant for informational purposes. We do not intend to infringe any copyright policy or do not possess any third-party material. If you have issues related to any of our content or images, kindly drop your message at firstname.lastname@example.org