St. Mary Basilica
Open Time : 6:00 am – 9:00 pm
Entry : free
Address : St. Mary's Basilica, Bengaluru, MF Norrona Street, Shivaji Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
More Travel Tips from Bangalore
Why to visit St. Mary Basilica
The only church in the state to be given the title of a minor basilica is the oldest church in Bangalore. It is well-known for the celebrations it hosts each year in September during the St. Mary's Feast. With its imposing façade, glass windows, and tender Mother Mary statues, it is an amazing sight to behold.
The history behind St. Mary Basilica:
- According to legend, attempts to relocate this statue from its original location and place it on a prominent altar inside the new Church were unsuccessful because it remained immobile.
- This odd event is still regarded as evidence of Our Lady's powerful miracle-working abilities. On September 8, the feast day honoring the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Church's main feast is grandly observed.
The architecture of St. Mary Basilica:
- French architect St. Mary's Basilica is a large church in the gothic style that is shaped like a cross.
- It is 50 feet wide and 172 feet long. 160 feet high, the tower that forms the Church's facade is imposing and magnificent.
- Just outside the church building is a lovely shrine with a 6-foot-tall statue of Mother Mary holding Child Jesus in her arms.
Entry Fee: No
Best time to visit: September
Nearest Metro: Cubbon Park Sri Chamarajendra Park Metro Station (1 KM)
How to reach St. Mary Basilica?
- Cubbon Park is the closest Metro Station to the location. You can take the bus route to get there and then take a private taxi to get to the Basilica.
- Being a popular tourist destination, you only need to mention the basilica's name to find it. If you're unfamiliar with the city, you can also hire a private vehicle.
FAQ on St. Mary Basilica
How to reach St. Mary Basilica?
Cubbon Park is the closest Metro Station to the location. You can take the bus route to get there and then take a private taxi to get to the Basilica. Being a popular tourist destination, you only need to mention the basilica's name to find it. If you're unfamiliar with the city, you can also hire a private vehicle.
What hotels are near St. Mary's Basilica?
Hotels near St. Mary's Basilica: Raghu Hotel Shravanbelgola (0.26 km), Regenta Place By Royal Orchid Hotels (0.74 km) and OYO 9605 Hotel Golden Inn (0.32 km)
What are the places to visit near St. Mary Basilica?
Cubbon Park (2.2 kms), Holy Trinity Church (3.2 kms) and Ulsoor Lake (2.3 kms) are other nearby attractions to visit along with St Mary’s Basilica
What are the shopping places near St. Mary Basilica?
MG Road (2 kms) and Commercial Street (1.2 kms) and Russel Market (240 meters) are popular shopping streets near St Mary’s Basilica.
The yearly feast at St. Mary's Basilica is held on September 8 in honour of St. Mary, is the best time to visit.
By TANISHA JAISWAL
Disclaimer: Please note that the content of this blog/article including links, texts, images, and graphics is only meant for informational purposes. We do not intend to infringe any copyright policy or do not possess any third-party material. If you have issues related to any of our content or images, kindly drop your message at email@example.com